Crispy Orange Chicken
- 2 1/2 pounds chicken breasts (cut into 1-inch chunks)
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- Canola oil for frying
- 1 cup Orange Juice
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger (minced)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 orange zested
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Green onions (chopped)
- Orange zest
- In a large, shallow bowl, whisk cornstarch flour, salt, and black pepper.
- Add beaten eggs to another bowl.
- Pour about 2 inches of canola oil into a deep frying pan and heat it over medium-high heat.
- Dip the chicken pieces into the beaten eggs.
- Add the chicken chunks to the cornstarch mixture and toss until well coated. Work in batches.
- Cook it in batches in the hot oil until golden and crispy.
- Remove to a plate and set aside.
- To the same pan add orange juice, white and brown sugar, rice vinegar, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, and red chili flakes. Heat for 3 minutes over medium heat.
- In a small bowl, whisk 1 tablespoon of cornstarch with 2 tablespoons of water to form a paste.
- Add the paste to orange sauce and whisk together. Continue to cook for 5 minutes, until the mixture begins to thicken.
- Once the sauce is thickened, reduce the flame to low and stir in orange zest.
- Add chicken back to the pan and toss with orange sauce. You may reserve some of the sauce to drizzle on rice.
- Serve it with a sprinkling of green onions and orange zest.
This article adapted from this site