DUMP-AND-BAKE CHICKEN AND MUSHROOM CASSEROLE
- 1 (10.5 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup (NOT diluted) (I used Campbell’s Healthy Request)
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup low-sodium chicken broth or water
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- ½ lb. raw boneless, skinless chicken breasts, diced into bite-sized pieces
- 1 ½ cups dry uncooked penne pasta about 5 ounces dry
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ½ cup grated mozzarella cheese
- Optional garnish: grated Parmesan cheese and chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Spray an 8-inch square baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together condensed soup, milk, chicken broth, thyme, salt, garlic powder and pepper. Stir in mushrooms, raw chicken, and uncooked pasta.
- Transfer mixture to prepared baking dish. Cover tightly with foil and bake for 35-40 minutes (until pasta is almost tender).
- Remove foil and give everything a stir in the dish. Stir in sour cream, and sprinkle mozzarella cheese over top. Return to the oven and bake, uncovered, for 5 more minutes, or until pasta is tender, chicken is cooked through, and cheese is melted.
- Let the dish stand for about 5 minutes before serving.
COOK'S TIPS AND RECIPE VARIATIONS:
- Have leftover cooked chicken on hand? You can use the cooked chicken in lieu of the raw chicken, if you prefer. Stir the cooked chicken into the casserole at the same time as the sour cream towards the end of the cooking time.
- I use Campbell's Healthy Request Cream of Mushroom Soup, but you can substitute with an organic condensed soup or with another flavor of condensed soup (such as Cream of Celery soup).
- Love mushrooms?! Feel free to stir in even more mushrooms than called for!
- Garnish the finished dish with grated Parmesan cheese and fresh herbs for an added layer of flavor.
This article adapted from this site