Poor Man’s Hamburger Steaks
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 ½ cups saltine crackers crushed
- 1 cup whole milk
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- Salt and pepper to taste for the patties
- 1 cup flour for dredging or more if needed
- Salt and pepper to taste for the flour dredge
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Gravy Ingredients:
- 2 cans 10.75 oz condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 ½ cups whole milk
- 1 ½ tablespoons fresh parsley chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9x13-inch baking dish with nonstick spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the cream of mushroom soups and milk and then stir in the chopped parsley. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the ground beef, crushed saltines, milk, Italian seasoning, garlic, onion powder, paprika, and cayenne pepper. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Using a spoon or your hands, combine the ingredients until mixed. Gently form into even-sized patties.
- Place 1 cup of flour in a shallow dish. Season the flour with salt and pepper. Dredge all the patties in the flour.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and melt the butter and add the olive oil. Once hot, sear patties on both sides until golden brown. Work in batches. It will continue cooking in the oven.
- Transfer the browned patties to the greased baking dish. Pour the gravy evenly over the top of the patties. Cover the dish with aluminum foil.
- Place baking dish in the oven and bake for 30-40 minutes or until cooked through.
This article adapted from this site