WEEKNIGHT ENCHILADAS VERDES RECIPE
FOR THE CHICKEN
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- juice of 1/2 lime (about 1 tablespoon)
FOR THE ENCHILADAS
- 2 cups Easy Salsa Verde recipe (or store bought salsa verde)
- 10 corn tortillas (soft flour tortillas can also be used)
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
- optional toppings: diced tomatoes, chopped cilantro, chopped green onions, sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Cover a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Slice chicken breast or thighs into thin strips. In a medium bowl, combine sliced chicken, olive oil, cumin, oregano, onion powder, salt and lime juice.
- Place seasoned chicken onto prepared baking sheet and bake in oven for 10 to 12 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink and fully cooked through.
- Place corn tortillas on a plate and cover them with a damp paper towel. Warm tortillas in the microwave for 30 seconds to soften them up and make them pliable.
- In a 2 or 3 quart baking dish, begin to assemble the enchiladas. Spoon some of the baked chicken into a warm tortilla. Roll it up and place in the baking dish, seam side down. Continue until all tortillas have been filled.
- Pour the salsa verde evenly on top of the enchiladas. Top with shredded cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until cheese starts to bubble.
- Serve with diced tomatoes, cilantro and green onions.
To save time: use any leftover shredded chicken you have in the fridge or use a store-bought rotisserie chicken and shred it at home instead of baking your own. Season the shredded chicken as instructed in the recipe.
This article adapted from this site