Baked Salsa Chicken
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, pounded to an even thickness
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 tablespoon chili powder, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- 1-1/2 cups Chunky Salsa <-- click for Homemade Salsa Recipe (you can also use store-bought Chunky Salsa)
- 1 cups shredded cheddar cheese, (I use a mix of white and yellow cheddar)
- Preheat oven to 375˚F.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet.
- Pound chicken breasts to an even thickness and season with cumin, chili powder, paprika, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Transfer to skillet and cook for 2 minutes per side, or until just browned.
- Spread about 1/2 cup salsa on the bottom of a baking dish.
- Arrange browned chicken breasts on top of salsa and add the remaining salsa over the chicken breasts.
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes, or until chicken is done. Use a thermometer to check for doneness - chicken is done when internal temperature reaches 165˚F.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake for 3 to 4 more minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Remove from oven and let stand 5 minutes before serving.
|This article adapted from this site|