Potatoes Au Gratin
- 6 russet potatoes, cleaned and peeled
- 2 tbsp. butter, plus more for pan
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 c. heavy cream
- 1/4 c. milk
- 1 tbsp. freshly chopped thyme
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Kosher salt
- red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 c. shredded Gruyère
- 1/2 c. freshly grated Parmesan
- Preheat oven to 375° and butter a large baking dish. Slice potatoes 1/4" thick and place in water to keep from browning.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add cream, milk, thyme, nutmeg, salt, and red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low. Let simmer 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Layer a third of potatoes, slightly overlapping, in prepared dish then pour a third of cream mixture over potatoes. Repeat with remaining potatoes and cream to make two more layers. Sprinkle Gruyère over top.
- Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes. Uncover, sprinkle with Parmesan and continue baking until potatoes are tender and top is golden, 15 to 20 minutes.
|This article adapted from this site|